WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Rep. Mike Thompson (CA-5) announced his recipients for the Fifth Congressional District Public Safety Hero Award. This award is given to exceptional law enforcement officers and first responders in our community who perform above and beyond the call of duty. After careful consideration, Rep. Thompson selected Officer Craig Long, Officer Aldo Serrano, and Fire Captain Eric Strom for their extraordinary work within Solano County.
“This past year has been a busy, challenging time for law enforcement and first responders in our community. From the continued threat of gun violence to the devastating fires of October, these men and women have tirelessly dedicated themselves to keeping us safe,” said Rep. Mike Thompson. “That’s why I am honored to present my annual “Public Safety Hero of the Year” awards to the courageous public servants across our district. To each and every one of you, I offer my heartfelt thanks. I’m incredibly proud to represent such brave, dedicated men and women.”
Since 2015, Officer Aldo Serrano and Officer Craig Long have been working as a team as School Resource Officers for the Vallejo Police Department. In this role, they have the overwhelming task of patrolling over 30 schools that are situated in the City of Vallejo. In addition, they have participated in all community school events over the years, including the Late-Night Basketball program and the Summer of Success program. Aside from ensuring the safety and security of students attending these schools, they have taken on roles to assist school administrators and staff with the positive development of students emotionally, mentally and academically.
“I am honored to recognize both Officer Aldo Serrano and Officer Craig Long as a Public Safety Hero for Solano County. As a team, both of these School Resource Officers are to be commended for their outstanding work ethic, commitment, and dedication to the youth of Vallejo as well as the community,” said Rep. Thompson.
Since 2000, Fire Captain Eric Strom has served as an instructor and program director for the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), helping to educate the community on how to respond and assist during large scale disasters. Captain Strom has also been a long standing member on the Vallejo Fire Department “Health & Safety Committee,” helping to create a safer workplace for Vallejo Firefighters.
“I am honored to recognize Captain Eric Strom as a Public Safety Hero for Solano County. Captain Strom exemplifies his role as a first responder, both on and off duty. He improved the safety gear and instituted more stringent decontamination procedures, to provide a safer workplace for his staff,” said Rep. Thompson.
The full list of the Public Safety Heroes of the Year for the 5th Congressional District is below:
- Officer Craig Long and Officer Aldo Serrano, Vallejo Police Department
- Captain Eric Strom, Vallejo Fire Department
- Robert J. Fenton, Jr., Regional Administrator for Federal Emergency Management Agency Region IX
- Mark Ghilarducci, Director of Cal Office Emergency Services
- Shana Jones, CAL FIRE Unit Chief for Napa-Sonoma-Lake-Mendocino
- Officer Chad R. Tardiff, California Highway Patrol
- Detective Zachary R. Blume, Pinole Police Department
- Undersheriff Chris Macedo, Lake County Sheriff’s Office
- Mike Ciancio, Northshore Fire Protection District
- Jodi Traversaro, Cal Office Emergency Services Regional Administrator
- Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office
- Santa Rosa Fire Department
- Santa Rosa Police Department
- Cotati Police Department
- Kenwood Fire Protection District
- Sonoma Valley Fire and Rescue
- Rincon Valley Fire District
- Mayacamas Volunteer Fire Station
- Schell Vista Fire Department
- Rohnert Park’s Department of Public Safety
- Crockett-Carquinez Fire Department
- City of Calistoga Fire Department
- City of St. Helena Fire Department
- Napa County Fire Chief Barry Biermann
- Napa County Fire Department
- City of Napa Fire Department
- American Canyon Fire Protection District
- City of Calistoga Police Department
- City of St. Helena Police Department
- City of Napa Police Department
- City of American Canyon Police Department
- Napa County Sheriff John Robertson
- Napa County Sheriff’s Office