Steffan Manor Elementary School was built at a cost of $310,000 and opened in January, 1943 by the Federal Government.
At the time, a state-of-the-art facility, Steffan manor opened with 23 classrooms, a kindergarten room, a library, auditorium, administrative offices, a cafeteria and kitchen, and a conference room.
Like most schools, Steffan Manor began to feel the punch of overcrowding. While opening with 578 pupils in 1943, enrollment ballooned to 959 within six years. For a while the school was forced to hold classes in the library as well as double sessions until other elementary schools were built.
Today, about 700 students are enrolled at Steffan Manor.
Information provided by Times Herald article on April 9, 2001